Monday, October 18, 2010

Wrong number



An old but lovely melody rang out from my mobile phone. I got up from my couch where I had fallen asleep as always. I tried to search for it amidst the wires and papers on my computer table. Finally I found it nestled between a hard-drive and some DVDs. I picked it up, no name was announced. My cell normally spoke out the name if I had stored it.This call was from some unknown number. I usually don't pick up calls from unknown numbers, might be either people trying to make me take a loan or make me pay for a loan I had taken. Either way I wasn't interested.

I almost threw the phone back amidst the crap that it was lying in when I decided not to. I answered the phone.

"Hello" I said in a bored tone.

"Hi" a high pitched voice. A female voice. A voice that I didn't recognize.

"uhh..hi", I said nervously, trying frantically to recall the voice. A name , a face, anything.

"Listen, you don't know me. I also don't know you." the voice said in a low tone, almost whispering. " I am walking home from office and the roads are lonely and a couple of guys are following me and I want to talk to somebody aloud so that they back off and leave me alone. Is that fine? "

"uhh..k..I guess" trying to understand the words that she almost rapidly shot off.

" I am sorry if I am disturbing you. I know that its very late" I guessed that it was around 2:30 am.

"No problem..I was awake only" I lied.

"Even then it is really late and this is too big a favor to ask someone just like that. The thing is I just moved to town last week and got my mobile sim card only today. Dont have all my contact numbers yet. I just dialed out a random number. The first number I tried wasn't reachable. You are the second number I tried." she blurted out the whole thing without a pause. I knew she was just taking a breather before continuing. So I just said "hmmm"

" I joined office today and they had the induction program and all that and they got me to the call floor by 7 and I was put on Job training immediately. They had said they would provide cab and I thought that it would be doorstep. Finally when the shift ended at 12 and the cabs started moving, it was almost 1. The cab driver just left me on the main road and left saying that cabs cant go into the road." she paused momentarily.

"Which company are you working for" I managed to get a question in.

" Oh me? Techno-Flex .... you know, the one at the corner of Doribala avenue. Anyway, I didnt realize that it was a long walk. I mean, in the daytime when I walked it took me barely 10 minutes to get to the main road. But as soon as I entered the side street, I saw two guys get up and start walking behind me. I didn't realize it for a couple of minutes but then heard the drunken stagger behind me."

"Are they still there?" I interjected again.

"uh...no.. I dont hear them anymore. Should I turn back and look? I am really scared. How stupid can I be. All alone in a strange place and I walk the roads alone at night."

" Dont turn and look..keep walking to your place. Keep talking. You will be fine. How close to your place? Which area are you in?" I asked

"I think I should be reaching it in another 5 minutes. Just need to take a left and down a straight road, it is at the dead end. I am staying in Jamnagar.New colony. I got a great deal. A paying guest accommodation. But totally individual. I get good food from owner who lives across. A sweet old lady. She makes great chicken curry. And the rent is cheap too. Its only 6 thousand per month. No extra stuff like Electricity or maintenance. Isn't that great? " she paused.

A rhetorical question but I anyhow felt the need to answer, just to keep myself alive in this conversation, " Yes it is."

"Last Saturday, She made lemon pie and send over a couple of slices to me. So sweet of her. It's my favorite too. That's so weird. As though she knew that it was my favorite. Do you like lemon pie? " she paused to ask me and continued without an answer," Anyway I went and helped her to clean up afterwards. She is living with her grandkid. That boy is studying in the eight standard. Both parents are living in the US and the kid is growing up with her. Ain't that sad? " her voice totally free from the fear for which she had called me.

"Hmm hmm" I murmured, encouraging her further.

"Hey I must be boring you. Already I am keeping you awake at such a late time. I reached my place. Looks like I am safe. Thanks for being on line for so long. I am really sorry for disturbing you. Thanks a lot. "

"hey no problem. Its okay now. You are safe and thats enough. Go sleep now and from now on, make sure that you aren't caught in such a situation at night."

"Ya. It was stupid of me. Like a blind person, I got caught up in work and this trouble. So sweet of you to help me out. I shall call you again later and talk to you. Thanks...friend. Bye for now."

I smiled to myself. Not at the friend remark. It is so good to make friends and to make one like this was unique. I threw the phone on the couch and grabbed my cane and tapped my way to the fridge.

12 comments:

Viji said...

good one manoj :) climax is interesting.

Unknown said...

thanks viji...i have submitted it for a contest on indiblogger...do vote if you like it :)

Harish P I said...

hi, good story yaar.. loved the climax

Unknown said...

@harish Thanks man..

Harsha said...

Naiiccceee...

Unknown said...

Hey dude. good one.interesting climax.leaves me asking for more.

Romeo Das said...

Really an interesting post. Beautifully written man. Promoted your post too :)

Btw, hope you enjoy reading my post When love calls and promote it too if you like!

Unknown said...

thanks harsha..

thanks priya..

Unknown said...

thanks romeo...read ur post just the day before..nice one..

Kcalpesh said...

Nicely written totally engaging! So, got a call again?

Uma Anandane said...

written well.Loved the way it ended.
Voted! check mine too special things are special and life is a one way journey.You miss a beat and you loose the rhythm

Unknown said...

Thanks Kcalpesh..not yet bro, not yet :)

thanks Uma...went to your blog, loved your poems..especially the haikus...